Shrimp Bánh Mì
Congrats to the our friends at the new Kokeshi, Salem's new Asian fusion restaurant, located right next door to our shop! Make sure to check them out! The Bánh Mì sandwich was born when the French became a colonial power in Vietnam, and is now ever-popular in Vietnam and beyond. France brought the baguette, and the Vietnamese filled it with various goodies, depending on what was on hand. Generally, the Bánh Mì consists of a protein, mayonnaise, pickled vegetables and fresh herbs. We took advantage of the amazing Kimchi from Maitland Mountain Farms in leiu of the pickled vegetables. It brings some great heat and crunch to the sandwich. Toss on fresh radish and cilantro and BAM! You’ve got a flavor party in your mouth. Enjoy!
Shrimp Bánh Mì
1 baguette, cut into two 6 inch pieces
6 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons miso butter* (see recipe below) or salted butter
4 teaspoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2teaspoon chili paste
1 lime, zested
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup cilantro, rough chopped
2 radishes, sliced thin
1/4 cup Maitland Mountain Farm Kimchi
- Slice the baguette lengthwise and hollow out the inside bread. Discard, eat or save for breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix together the fish sauce, ginger, sesame oil, garlic, chili paste and juice from half of the lime, to make a finishing sauce for the shrimp.
- In another small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and lime zest.
- Lay the shrimp on a small sheet pan and generously top each with the miso butter. With the broiler on high, place the rack about 8 inches from the flame, broil the shrimp for about 5 -7 minutes.
- While the shrimp broil, loosely wrap the bread in foil and place on the lower rack to lightly toast and warm.
- When the shrimp are fully cooked, remove from the broiler, slice in half along the spine and toss in the prepared sauce from step 2.
- To assemble, spread mayonnaise on the bottom of the baguette, layer the shrimp, kimchi, radish, cilantro and baguette top.
4 ounces French butter, room temp
1 tablespoon Canola Oil
1.5 ounces organic white miso
1/2 teaspoons ginger, finely minced
1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
lime, zested and cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl combine room temp butter, miso, ginger, cayenne and lime zest and mix until smooth and well-blended. Set aside at room temperature.