With the temperature still dipping under 30, I’m still craving a nice bowl of steaming hot soup. This Carrot Soup is super easy and straight forward. It is silky and sweet thanks to the carrots and onions. The goat cheese adds a hint of tang as it melts throughout, balancing the sweet. The addition of cHarissa at the end gives it a little spicy kick – a nice, warm heat that stays with you on these frosty spring days. I have to just tell you quickly about this crazy condiment, cHarissa, that’s lucky to be on our shelves. This product, which I can one hundred percent assure you will be a constant in your life after you try it, is the bottled magic from a 90-year-old widower, as a tribute to his late Moroccan wife. Inspired by Harissa, a very spicy traditional Moroccan paste, Gloria and Earl honed their own personal blend over their 50 years together. The result is not only a delicious treat for us to use on literally everything, but also an inspiring story of love and wanting to share the love of good food with everyone. Enjoy!
Carrot Soup with cHarissa & Capri
1 pound carrots (about 8) peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
½ sweet onion, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
1 clove garlic, smashed
3 sprigs thyme
4 cups vegetable stock
4 tablespoons cHarissa
1/3 pound Capri Chèvre, crumbled
¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
4 tablespoons chopped chives
freshly ground pepper
- In a large stock pot, add onions and shallots to a little olive oil; season and sauté over medium heat, until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes.
- Toss in the carrots, garlic and thyme; season and sauté about 1 minute, just until garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in stock; cover and simmer on low, until the carrots are fully cooked and soft, about 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, toast walnuts until lightly brown and fragrant, about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, discard thyme sprigs, and puree with an immersion blender, until everything processed and smooth. Adjust seasoning.
- Divide soup among 4 bowls, and garnish with the cHarissa, Capri, walnuts and chives.
- Makes: 4 servings (6 cups prepared)